House Judiciary Democrats to Counter GOP's Attack on a Woman's Right to Choose
(Washington) — On Tuesday, February 8, Ranking Member John Conyers, Jr. (D-Mich.) and Representatives Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), Mike Quigley (D-Ill.), Judy Chu (D-Calif.), Linda Sánchez (D-Calif.), and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) will push back against Republican efforts to curtail women’s reproductive rights. House Judiciary Democrats believe that H.R. 3 represents an unacceptable attack on a woman’s right to choose and a distraction from the economic relief that Americans expect from Congress.
H.R. 3, “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” would, among other things, ban coverage of abortion in the new health care system and impose tax penalties on Americans with private insurance plans that include abortion coverage.
The members will be joined by a woman who will share her story about how her insurance plan was able to cover the abortion care she needed when a wanted pregnancy encountered complications. She will discuss how, if H.R. 3 had been in effect, the bill’s provisions would have affected her ability to make the decisions best for her and her family. Representatives from the National Abortion Federation, NARAL Pro-Choice America, and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America will also be in attendance.
- House Judiciary Democratic Press Conference on a Woman's Right to Choose
- 3:00 PM on Tuesday, February 8, 2011
- Rayburn HOB, Room 2226, Washington , D.C.
- Congressman John Conyers, Jr. (D-Mich.), Ranking Member
- Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.)
- Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-Calif.)
- Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Calif.)
- Congressman Mike Quigley (D-Ill.)
- Congresswoman Judy Chu (D-Calif.)
- Congresswoman Linda Sánchez (D-Calif.)
- Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.)
- Representatives from National Abortion Federation
- Representatives from NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Representatives from Planned Parenthood Federation of America